Tuchel axes England big names from 2026 World Cup squad

0
Phil Foden and Harry Maguire are expected to miss out on England World Cup places when Thomas Tuchel announces his squad on Friday.

Manchester City forward Foden was a starter at Euro 2024 when England reached the final and was named Professional Footballers’ Association player of the year that season.

But he has suffered a dip in form since and Anthony Gordon and Marcus Rashford are ahead of him for a place on the left flank.

Last summer, Foden gave an in-depth account of his mental struggles and the injury nightmare that mean he pulled out of England duty. But he was called up in March for a chance to impress before the World Cup and played against Uruguay and Japan.

Last year he said: “I have had a lot of things going on off the pitch mentally,” said Foden. “Sometimes there’s things in life that are bigger than football. This season I’ve struggled a little bit. Hopefully come next year I can get my head mentally right, get back where I left the season before because I know what I’m capable of doing and the quality I have.”

Tuchel will name the 26 players heading this summer to the United States, Mexico and Canada at 9.45am on Friday morning, and Maguire has also not been included.

The Manchester United defender, who is 33 and has 66 England caps, forced his way back into the England squad in March but Tuchel revealed he was still “fifth choice” and was behind the likes of Chelsea’s Trevoh Chalobah and Manchester City’s John Stones in the pecking order.

Maguire is disappointed with the decision, telling Talksport he was “shocked and gutted”, but he has sent his best wishes to Tuchel’s squad for the competition, which starts next month. However, Maguire’s mother, Zoe, vented her fury on social media, posting on X: “Absolutely disgusted” and “You couldn’t have done anymore. Hold your head high... Disgraceful.”

Tuchel’s decision on Maguire has been complicated by Levi Colwill’s return to fitness at Chelsea, after missing most of the season with a knee injury. He has added to the England manager’s options, along with Newcastle’s Dan Burn who has been a regular in his squads. Fikayo Tomori, the AC Milan centre-back, also misses out.

Tuchel has been calling players on Thursday, with many worrying about their places in the final squad.

Arsenal’s Noni Madueke is in the squad, as is veteran midfielder Jordan Henderson.

Kobbie Mainoo has been pushing for a place after winning his Manchester United spot back under Michael Carrick and earning an England recall in March.

Luke Shaw has been left out as Tuchel feels he has enough cover on the left.

More to follow...

Click here to read article

Related Articles