Slater’s emphatic reply to Munster question... and reveal on ‘emotional’ Queensland phone call

0
Billy Slater revealed why the idea of Sam Walker debuting in a Queensland jumper gives him “chills” as the Queensland coach also opened up on his decision to overlook Reece Walsh and an “emotional” phone call with Dolphins forward Tom Flegler.

Watch every game of every round of the NRL Premiership LIVE with no ad-breaks during play on FOX LEAGUE, available on Kayo Sports | New to Kayo? Join now and get your first month for just $1.

Slater named his 20-man squad for next week’s State of Origin opener in Sydney, with Walsh the biggest name to miss out as Kalyn Ponga instead got the nod at fullback.

Meanwhile, the ankle injury to Tom Dearden opened the door for veteran halfback Daly Cherry-Evans to return but instead Slater opted for both the best short and long-term option in Walker.

There were suggestions earlier on Sunday that Ponga could line up at halfback with Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow at fullback, which would have made Walsh’s omission all the more glaring.

While Slater did not confirm or deny that report on Monday, he did tell reporters he looked at all his options before making a final call on the squad.

“I don’t think you’d be doing your due diligence and respecting your position as the coach if you didn’t look at all options,” Slater said.

“But we do really feel confident about Sam Walker being the best option to play halfback for Queensland. I know how much he loves this state. Growing up in Ipswich, just west of Brisbane, I can just imagine him in the backyard dreaming of playing for Queensland with the number seven on his back.

“It gives me chills sort of thinking about it. Can’t wait to see him in camp. He’s in an infectious little lad and I’m looking forward to helping him get his game on. I know he’ll unlock plenty of the players around him as well.”

QLD WINNERS AND LOSERS: Broncos’ boost... and a ‘special’ star’s rise

Slater didn’t necessarily explain why he opted for Ponga over Walsh, instead heaping praise on both players.

In essence, it seemed a similar dilemma to the one facing the Blues where they had two fullbacks worthy of being picked but only one spot in the team.

“It was difficult but I think we’ve all seen what Kalyn’s done at this level, but also in his return when he’s played for the Knights this year. He’s in exceptional form,” Slater said.

“I feel Kalyn’s best position is fullback. He knows how to play that position and he’s really nailed it. He’s in a real sweet spot of his career and life at the moment.

“I think he’s really balanced and looking forward to helping him get after his game too.

“We’ve seen Reece play at this level a couple of years ago and he was probably one of the most influential players in the Queensland team in that series in 2023. So we know what he’s capable of, he knows what he’s capable of and he has a really good understanding of the things he focuses on when he plays his best football.

“I’ve got a great relationship with Reece and I’ve got a lot of time for him. I love the way he plays his footy and he’s getting there.”

Get all the latest NRL news, highlights and analysis delivered straight to your inbox with Fox Sports Sportmail. Sign up now!!!

While Walker and North Queensland’s Jake Clifford were among the names commonly mentioned as potential Dearden replacements, it also would have been quite easy for Slater to turn to the experienced Cherry-Evans in the interim.

Cherry-Evans was dropped for Dearden after Game 1 of last year’s series in an inspired call by Slater, with the Cowboys halfback winning the Wally Lewis Medal.

While it would be easy to think the door has now been shut on any Origin return for Cherry-Evans, Slater said the Roosters veteran’s omission had nothing to do with age.

“Every option is looked at. Whether you’re 18 years old or 38, that’s irrelevant for me,” he said.

“It’s how you play the game and who the best person is for that position to play for Queensland. This is Queensland’s team and every option is considered.”

It was unlikely Slater was ever going to overlook Storm superstar Cameron Munster despite his shaky club form, with the Queensland skipper reminding everyone just how dangerous he can be on the weekend in the win over Parramatta.

But either way, considering the way things ended so abruptly for Cherry-Evans during last year’s series, Slater was asked on Monday if Munster is under any pressure to perform.

His response was emphatic.

“He’s the Queensland five-eighth and he’s the Queensland skipper,” Slater said.

DALEY SPEAKS: Blues coach answers big Radley question, opens up on brutal phone call

While Slater admitted there were some “tough” phone calls that he was forced to make on Sunday, he had plenty of memorable ones too with the Maroons naming four debutants for the series opener.

His most “emotional” phone call, however, came with someone who has already represented Queensland.

Tom Flegler spent 677 days on the sideline before returning in February this year from a shoulder injury that threatened to end his career. Now he is back in the Origin arena.

“Everyone knows his journey with his shoulder. Prior to getting that shoulder injury, he was one of the best front rowers in the game,” Slater said of Flegler.

“What he was doing for the Broncos and then for the Dolphins was outstanding, the way he played for Queensland and for him to fight tooth and nail to get back on the field, I think that speaks volumes of who Tom Flegler is.

“He was brought up on a banana farm, he’s a tough lad and we’re going to need that toughness.”

MORE ORIGIN NEWS

BLUES SQUAD: Blues champion axed, Teddy call confirmed as Daley names seven new faces

WINNERS & LOSERS: Daley’s biggest snub... and surprise; debutant to ‘scare’ QLD

Dolphins teammate Max Plath is one of the four debutants for Wednesday’s game, joining Walker, Jojo Fifita and Briton Nikora in pulling on a Maroons jumper for the first time.

Slater said Plath “forced” his hand with his impressive form for the Dolphins, declaring he was one player who “just said I can’t be left out of this team” while the Queensland coach added that Fifita is “only just scratching the surface of where he can go in his career”.

As for Nikora, he was the one Queenslander to benefit from the NRL’s eligibility rules shake-up, with Slater revealing that the pair caught up for coffee when it became clear he could be in contention for an Origin debut.

“I sat down, learned a bit more about him and who he was and where he’s from and his ties to Queensland,” Slater said.

“Then we just went through some video and showed him a few things that this Queensland team valued. He’s really outlaid that for the Sharks over the last couple of weeks. He’s certainly going to help us.”

Click here to read article

Related Articles