Roy Keane's biggest Man United red flag now after missing out on three transfer targets

0
Manchester United legend Roy Keane has had his say on how Michael Carrick's team are shaping up going into the new Premier League season

Roy Keane has raised huge concerns over Manchester United's defence heading into the new season. Keane has also backed the club's decision to back out of deals for Mateus Fernandes, Sandro Tonali and Elliot Anderson this summer.

The Reds have made several additions to Michael Carrick's squad, including midfielders Youri Tielemans and Andrey Santos. It comes after Casemiro's exit on a free transfer and Manuel Ugarte suffering a serious injury at the World Cup, which has left United short in central midfield.

Brighton star Carlos Baleba is also closing in on a move to Old Trafford. The Cameroon international is set to arrive at United in a £65million plus £5m in add-ons move.

And Reds legend Keane has now had his say on the club's summer business so far. The former midfielder has given United's recruitment team credit, but worries for their defence heading into the new campaign

Speaking on the latest Stick to Football podcast, he said: "We have to give United credit for a little bit. The recent recruitment, they have come back to players who know the Premier League.

FOLLOW OUR MAN UNITED FB PAGE!Latest news and analysis via the MEN’s Manchester United Facebook page

"That's been a big one. It's obviously the same mindset this year, bringing players in who are maybe under the radar, not your huge money, but again, some of Man United's greatest signings going back over the last 20 or 30 years have been players under the radar.

"It's not always necessarily about spending £100m on somebody. I think these players will be good for Man United, but being good and trying to win a league title... I think that defence is the big problem."

Keane has also had his say on United missing out on several big-money deals. Fernandes and Tonali completed a move to Tottenham Hotspur, while Anderson joined Manchester City.

He added: "I think the rumours are that they were told that the fees were going to keep going up and at some stage you have to back away, don't you?

"You look at their other signings though, seem United seem to be in that bracket of buying lads for £50, 60m. They obviously had their fingers burned over the last few years, but again they were buying players who weren't used to the Premier League."

United have until 11pm on September 1 to further strengthen their squad. Carrick's men kick off the new season at newly-promoted Hull City on Saturday (12:30pm).

Click here to read article

Related Articles